Sunday, December 9, 2007

Spicing up your fall landscape

Lindera obtusiloba and Lindera salicifolia

The group of plants known by the genus Lindera, are more commonly and collectively referred to as spicebush. Two examples of this group really excel in the fall landscape. Oddly enough neither of them is the native Lindera benzoin, the common spicebush native to the Mid-Atlantic region.

The first, Lindera obtusiloba or Japanese Spicebush, has wonderful coarse lobed medium green leaves for most of the season that turn a wonderful clear yellow for a period in the autumn. Sited in partial to full sun, the fall color will be optimized. Male and female plants offer slightly different characteristics. Male flowers are larger in the early spring, still quite small relative to the size of the plant. The female plants however set a very nice black fruit that persists into the winter, each though presenting a brilliant fall display. Multi stemmed to 6 to 8 feet, rounded in habit, this tough plant can be cutback or thinned quite aggressively if need be once it is fully established.

Lindera salicifolia, sometimes sold as Lindera glauca var. salicifolia, is the Willow-leaf Spicebush. I was introduced to this plant several years ago at the garden where I work, Chanticleer, again at the Scott Arboretum and fell in love with it. A friend, Andrew Bunting, also curator of the Scott Arboretum, helped us move into our current home about 8 years ago. Upon his arrival he unloaded a large Lindera salicifolia as a moving in present. So this plant was in fact the first element added to our landscape.

This plant, also multi stemmed, to a bit larger size, 8 to 12 feet in most cases, can also be thinned or rejuvenated if necessary. My own problem is when to reduce this plant in my own landscape. I love what this plant does for me very day of the year. Medium green oblong, willow like leaves adorn the plant from late spring through the season, wonderful screening plant in full sun, a bit thinner in some shade.
But when the days shorten, the nights cool, the display begins to change. Zinfandels, merlots, clarets, and all the good reds are represented in the fall foliage of this plant. As the fall progresses, the colors slowly fade to a tawny brown. Jet-black bead like fruit set earlier in the season is now fully ripe and apparent, yet the foliage does not drop. And so it goes, all through the winter season, snow and ice, unable to dislodge the tan foliage from this plant. Still doing a magnificent job of screening, yet without true evergreen foliage. I find the cut branches to be a great addition to seasonal arrangements and decoration. Finally, one day in late spring, after the small but abundant yellow flowers have past, the newly emerging foliage force off the old leaves in the course off about two days. It’s quick and painless, and almost immediately the plant is working for me in my landscape. Tell me, when do cut this back? When do I do with out it? So I let it grow.


Stay tuned,Exciting travel plans on the horizon!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is Lindera salicifolia available? I've searched and searched and can't find a source....Actually my internet search led me to your blog. I saw it several years ago at Chanticleer and admired its fall foliage. And by the way, aren't you the person who made the Wave-Hill like chairs at Scott Arboretum. I think I bought your plans somewhere... though I've never made a chair. If you know of a nursery that carrie L.s, I'd appreciate know. thanks. sarah

Anonymous said...

http://www.fairweathergardens.com/genus.php?type=Trees_and_Shrubs&genus=Lindera

cnewman said...

Dan,
I just stumbled upon your blog. Love it. I'm zone 6 in jersey here and I have seen the lindera salicifolia and can attest to your description. Will be adding one to my garden very soon. May I also recommend the japanese paper bush (edgeworthia gold). or perhaps mexican orange. Both unusual and both can be grown quite well in zone 6

Mr. Newman said...

I just bought two versions of Lindera (salicifolia and benzoin at TRipleoaks Nursery here in Franklinville, NJ. They have a lot of plants you've either never heard of or are hard to get. If you like interesting things, try out Edgeworthia Gold, the Japanese paper bush.

Anonymous said...

I have just purchased a Lindera salicifolia and wonder whether or not to place it ouside of my deer fence? That would be the best place for it.